Dos Meses

Hola Familia!

It sounds like everyone has had a hot week back in the states. It has been hot here in La Vega and also rainy, but I have loved it. My companion is super patient with me, I am always asking her questions about the food, Spanish, plants, etc. and she doesn´t get frustrated, which is a blessing. We have a lot of fun while we are walking down the streets and while we cook in our house. This week was a good one, but it was also challenging in a few ways. When I first got here we didn´t have a ton of people to teach so we have been doing a lot of contacting and a lot of follow up lessons. The people here are very friendly and they are always willing to meet with us, but sometimes they aren´t really that interested and are just being friendly. So this week we worked on really trying to see who is interested in learning about the gospel.

We are teaching two families right now that we are trying to get ready for baptism. The first is a little family of four (soon to be five), with the two parents,  a 13 year old daughter, Masiel,  and 6 yr old little boy, Willi. They are from Haiti and our hardest challenge is that they aren´t married and also that they haven´t been coming to church. We taught them about marriage this week, which made me really nervous, but it went well and they agreed to come to church this next week! I´m excited to see what happens with them this next week. 

Our second family is really two families. We are teaching the family of a returned missionary and his aunt, uncle, and cousins. We teach them all together so every lesson is kind of crazy because we have about twelve to fourteen people smushed really close in a little room. It is crazy, but it is fun. They have been coming to church and yesterday we taught  them about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and they all listened really well. Sometimes it is hard because lessons fall through or we find out the person we are teaching isn´t really interested, but the lessons that do go well are amazing and it is an amazing experience to teach others about Christ and how they can be happier. The members here are great and are always willing to come to lessons with us which is awesome.

I have been trying new foods and some of my favorites are limoncillos, this little green citrus fruit here, y yucca. i have also been working on my Spanish, every week it gets easier to understand what people say to me. I´ll be working on it for awhile. I also realized that I hit two months today, crazy!

It sounds like everyone had a good week which is great. I hope Arizona, work, and finsihing up the semester go well. I love you all!

Hermana Schriever

Comments