Aca en la Vega

Querida familia!

Que lo gue! (Just some Dominican slang for how's it going). I'm so sorry that I didn't get to call you guys on Tuesday. At the MTC they had us all buy calling cards to use to call our families but the airports I went to didn't have pay phones so I couldn't call. It was a little crazy trying to figure out the JFK aiport, but it was good and I was so glad that I had another hermana with me. I actually really liked the flight, the last leg of my flight everyone was Dominican and so it was an interesting experience because I couldn't understand a single word anyone said to me. Phew, hopefully when I come on the plane home I'll be albe to understand everything they say.  The last few days of the MTC were crazy, but I learned a lot. The last day all of my district was gone except for me so I had six hours of one on one study time with my teachers and I was really glad because I learned a lot.
Alright, on to the DR. It's hard to know where to start. Well, it is VERY hot and the humidity is something that I am still trying to get used to, but the people here are wonderful. Their Spanish is crazy fast and they drop a lot of each word, I can only understand about one in every ten words they say (if I'm lucky), but they are very friendly and loving, and the members here are great. The first night Hermana Atianzar (the hermana I was with) and I arrived at 1 in the morning. The mission APs picked us up and then we stayed at the hermana training leaders apartment for the night. The next day, Wednesday, we had interviews with the President Castillo and took pictures for our visas. I guess the visa we applied for before I left was a visa to be able to get into the country and then while we are here we apply for a residence visa. After, I met my trainer, Hermana Lynch. She is very sweet and is always really happy and excited. She works really hard and that has helped me a lot. She has a blog, I'll try to get the link for it for you guys (aka Dad). She is from Utah and it helps that she can speak English because after the lessons she can answer my questions about what happened. There are still things that I am getting used to, but overall I really like it here. The people and the country are beautiful.

Spanish is a little overwhelming but I'm learning and I always try to paticipate in the lessons. They use a lot of slang but my MTC teacher who went to the DR gave me a list of Dominican words so I understand some of it. The houses all have a little front porch that has a metal gate and everyone sits outside during the day and just talks to everyone that passes by, so when we walk down the street we'll just stop and talk with different people. The Dominicans are really very friendly and welcoming. It is very different from the U.S. culture wise but it is fun. Everyone uses these little motor bikes in the road and so all day we hear the drivers zooming by us as we walk. It is safe and everyone always lets us pass first when we are crossing a street. My companion told me that we have one of the nicest houses in all of the mission and I believe it. It was a little dirty so we spent this morning doing a deep cleaning, but it really is a good apartment. It has a nice kitchen and we always have water (even hot water, which is rare here). It is super beautiful here and everywhere we go I feel like stopping to take a picture. Our area is called Primavera (Spring in Spanish) and is pretty small because the zone and district leaders are also in our area, so our area is split into three parts. We still teach a lot of lessons and meet a lot of new people even if we don't have a very big area. It is sometimes hard to stay awake and alert all day, but I'll get used to walking and teaching as much as we do.
I think Mom asked about food so I'll talk about it. I haven't eaten a ton of Dominican food yet, but I have had platanos and lots of rice and beans. We ate at a member's house yesterday and she gave us mango juice, and I have to say the Dominicans know how to make really good juice. I haven't had any of the drink that Anna made for us, Morir sonando (I think), but I'm hoping that I'll try it sometime soon. So far I have liked all of the food that I have tried. 

I feel bad because I don't have a ton of time, but please let me know what questions you have and I will try to write a better, hopefully more organized, email next week. It sounds like it was an exciting week for everyone. Esme started her driving lessons, Anna and Kiana are only two weeks away from finishing the semester or graduating, Sam is apply to med schools. Phew, a lot is happening. I hope you all know how much I love you all and hope that you have a great week. Que tengan una semana fantastica! I love you all so much!

Hermana Schriever

Comments